In my second year of teaching I was lucky enough to get to teach our Cosmetology program. I love this kind of stuff so this was right up my alley! There are not too many teachers out there who can say they are the Phys. Ed. and Cosmetology teacher. I took a few courses in preparation for the course including Manicures & Pedicures, Make-up Artistry and Skin Care. I did not get any formal training in the hairstyling portion of the course but it has always been a personal interest so much of the techniques were not new to me. For the techniques that I did not know how to do, I would ask stylists in the community to come in and help out. In Cosmetology 20, learning pin curls and finger waves is part of the curriculum. These are rather complex and rather old-fashion but is meant for students to understand the principles of a curl and how the curvature works when it comes to styling. I really appreciated the help of these professionals and so did the students! We all learned so much and it was great to see how we all progressed. We all had lots of fun but decided it wasn't a hairstyle we would be wearing anytime soon.This blog is meant to be a collaboration of learning experiences I have gained throughout my teaching career. As I continue to grow, I will continue to add. Some posts are simply examples of classroom lessons and activities while others are personal reflections of teachable moments.
Becoming a Hair Artist
In my second year of teaching I was lucky enough to get to teach our Cosmetology program. I love this kind of stuff so this was right up my alley! There are not too many teachers out there who can say they are the Phys. Ed. and Cosmetology teacher. I took a few courses in preparation for the course including Manicures & Pedicures, Make-up Artistry and Skin Care. I did not get any formal training in the hairstyling portion of the course but it has always been a personal interest so much of the techniques were not new to me. For the techniques that I did not know how to do, I would ask stylists in the community to come in and help out. In Cosmetology 20, learning pin curls and finger waves is part of the curriculum. These are rather complex and rather old-fashion but is meant for students to understand the principles of a curl and how the curvature works when it comes to styling. I really appreciated the help of these professionals and so did the students! We all learned so much and it was great to see how we all progressed. We all had lots of fun but decided it wasn't a hairstyle we would be wearing anytime soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment