As with anything, I dive in with big plans and big goals. Once again, students joined not fully understanding the sport and my administration agreed that offering another extra-curricular program could only be positive for the students, but did not quite know what was to come. The season started off very difficult with keeping students involved and getting a practice schedule set. As many small schools experience, it is typically the same students involved in the activities, sports and clubs not to mention top academic students. These students run themselves thin trying to do everything and be a part of it all, so adding in another activity was a difficult commitment for many. However, we ended up with a strong 8 girls who were willing to commit and give it shot.
![]() |
| Our first competition! We were a hit! |
This small team truly became a family and became role models within their school and community. Their peers, families and teachers were blown away by their skills! The theme to our music was "love" and the girls truly took that to heart. They went through so many ups and downs throughout the year but they would always pull through because they didn't want to let down their "family". They really taught me a lot about being a coach and a positive role model. In the past, I feel like the cheer teams I coached were already established programs where things just seemed easy. I would show up and coach athletes who were knowledgeable and experienced. This experience was so much different but yet so much more rewarding. I am so proud of my team! As a teacher and a coach, one of the most rewarding parts of the season was when we were asked to perform at the Director's Lunch by the Director of Education himself. Although there were other established and higher competitive teams in our division, it was us that got invited and we were all ecstatic!
The last thing I truly learned about being a coach of such a special team was that these students truly made me see why I became a teacher and a coach. Although teachers do not get paid to coach, the "payment" I received from coaching this team was more gratifying than any paycheck I have received. My first couple years of teaching were extremely difficult and I was so thankful for the opportunity these girls gave me. All I needed was love!

No comments:
Post a Comment